Painting and Decorating 

Your local painting & decorating services in London


Our painting and decorating service covers all areas of the trade including interior decorative painting and wallpapering as well as exterior protective coatings. Painting and decorating is the final touch to any refurbishment. To guarantee a high quality finish much care and attention goes into preparation of all walls, ceiling and woodwork. With this foundation and a range of sprays, brushes and rolls we can produce a top quality finish on any surface.

We cater professionally for domestic or commercial clients and undertake projects of any size. In addition to our painting services Pol-Build offers a complete wallcovering services which supplies and hangs high quality vinyl papers and all other types of patterned wallcoverings.


Glossary of Terms

Making good
This means racking out and filling all cracks and holes. We will also "feather out" areas of plasterwork to upgrade the surface. Making good will leave a surface sound. It will not make an imperfect surface perfect, or smooth out existing ridges and undulations.

Where the plasterwork is cracking or imperfect, or there is a possibility of further cracking, lining paper is used. We use 1000 grade lining paper and will hang it butt-jointed so that seams are not noticeable. If needed, this will upgrade a surface more than making good.
By this we mean actual resurfacing of an area, wall or entire room by a tradesman plasterer. This is often the only way to obtain a perfect surface. It is either by use of two coats of plaster or by fixing plasterboard and skimming.
Rubbing down
By use of abrasives. It has a number of purposes: remove nibs, flaking paint and imperfections. It provides a "key" for new paint and retards excessive build-up of paint on the woodwork. On woodwork we will rub down the entire surface before painting and "flatting down" with fine abrasive is done between coats.

Wall and ceiling finishes
We will normally use paint rollers and "cut in" with a brush. Paint rollers can leave a heavy texture. We will avoid this by not applying paint too thickly. Some texture is however unavoidable, particularly with emulsion paints.

This is part of making good. Internally we normally use cellulose fillers on walls and ceilings. On external surfaces we use proprietary oil stopper, flexible fillers are used for gaps between wood and plaster, for example where skirting and architraves meet walls.

Rotten timber
Rotten timber, particularly on exteriors, is not always noticeable at time of quotation. If found this will be pointed out to you. Rot most often occurs on timber sills and on the lower rails of a sash window.

DS Brothers Ltd Contractors Bespoke Kitchens Loft Conversions Extensions Roofing New Build Carpentry Electrical Works Plumbing Painting Decorating Plastering Rendering Pubble dashing Tiling
  Copyright © 2008-2014 DS Brothers Ltd Contractors All Rights Reserved. Design by Effect Media